As I noted in a previous post, there are SIX (6) sexual harassers who are members of the National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine. Now that the Science academy has had an initial vote to implement procedures for removing members who have sexual harassment findings against them, perhaps the Engineering and Medicine academies would like to follow suit!
(1) 2015: Geoff Marcy, Berkeley. RESIGNED, NOW EMERITUS FACULTY. http://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorayshi/famous-astronomer-allegedly-sexually-harassed-students *Member of U.S. National Academy of Sciences, elected 2002; http://www.nasonline.org/member-directory/members/3012587.html
(2) 2017 (for harassment complaint in 2016): Sergio Verdu, Princeton University. “RESPONSIBLE FOR SEXUAL HARASSMENT”. REQUIRED TO ATTEND TRAINING. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/princeton-professor-sexual-harassment-not-punished_us_5a01d203e4b0368a4e872655 *Member of U.S. National Academy of Engineering, elected 2007; https://www.nae.edu/MembersSection/MemberDirectory/31004.aspx
(3) 1995: Thomas Stamey, Stanford. PERMANENT REDUCTION IN PAY. http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/news/1995_Apr_28.HARASS.html *Member of U.S. National Academy of Medicine, elected 1985; https://nam.edu/member/?member_id=J3iVHZqp6C636SImDGoL8A%3D%3D.
(4) 2007: Joseph Schlessinger, Yale. LAWSUIT SETTLED. http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2006/12/01/univ-faces-harassment-lawsuit/ AND http://archives.yalealumnimagazine.com/issues/2007_07/l_v.html *Member of U.S. National Academy of Medicine, elected 2005; https://nam.edu/member/?member_id=%2F5fHcrRUc1bVCdcMyWHNlA%3D%3D
(5) 2018: Thomas Jessell, Columbia University. FIRED FOR VIOLATING CONSENSUAL RELATIONSHIP POLICY. https://www.columbiaspectator.com/news/2018/04/12/before-removal-mbbi-director-thomas-jessell-engaged-in-years-long-relationship-that-violated-columbia-policy/ *Member of U.S. National Academy of Sciences, elected 2002; http://www.nasonline.org/member-directory/members/46092.html
(6) 2018: Inder Verma Salk Institute (trains graduate students enrolled at UCSD). RESIGNED. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/leading-salk-scientist-resigns-after-allegations-harassment *Member of National Academy of Medicine, elected 1999; https://nam.edu/member/?member_id=zIzkUxI0b3O9h0hDNmaWOQ%3D%3D